Friday, December 10, 2010

The 'F' word

While I was home for Thanksgiving seeing all my family and friends, all of them kept asking me the same questions. "What's the plan after graduation?" "What are you going to do in the future?" "What are your future plans?" Everyone wants to know these questions. For a long time, I've always wondered what God has planned for me in my future. It's kinda scary to think about it too. I don't really like to talk about it much, because I don't know what's going to happen. I normally just remove the word future from my vocabulary so I don't have to worry about it.

I don't consider myself 'good' at much of anything. I'm not going to be some super business guy or successful CEO or anything like that. I am called to the ministry, and I fully know and understand that I'm mot going to be some rich guy, who can retire early and live a comfortable life. My future is not going to be easy. It's going to be hard and involve a ton of sacrifice. I've accepted that though, that's not what scares me about my future. The part I worry about is what and where I will be. Is God going to call me to go back to a church and be a children's minister again? Am I going to get a secular job with kids? Who knows. (well only God does) Heck, God might call me to go back to Africa. It's not out of the realm of possibility.

While thinking about this though, I keep remembering Matthew 6:34 "Therefore do not be anxious about tomorrow, for tomorrow will be anxious for itself. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble."

Tomorrow is not my problem, or not something for me to worry about. Jeremiah 29:11 says, "For I know the plans I have for you, declares the LORD, plans for welfare and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope" It's so reassuring to me to know that all my future plans are already set and planned out. I don't have to worry about my future and what's going to happen to me after college. God has never turned away from me and He never will. He has used me in a ton of different places so far in my life (Africa, Kentucky, Missouri, Philippines, New Orleans, ect.) and I'm sure he has more great things in store for me in the future. I don't know what's going to happen, all I know is that I'm called to be in Bolivar now. What happens in the future, I don't know. But it's going to be exciting to see!

3 comments:

  1. It's a good perspective, if you can get there. The day I stopped worrying about how I was going to pay the bills, how I was going to get everything done, and decided - really in an instant - that if God wanted me to live in a cardboard box under the expressway that's where I would go, is the day my life really started falling into place and it's the day I found true peace (at least as far as the future is concerned). It's so liberating.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen. Worrying was pure evil for me. But it worked toward goodness. It brought me to Christ.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've heard so much, "God has called me to Himself...the rest is geography." That's pretty much my comfort when I get apprehensive about the future. It doesn't really matter where we are, all that matters is that we are following God where He is already working :)

    ReplyDelete